Carroll County was formed in 1828 and named for signer of the Declaration of Independence, Charles Carroll. This region was originally noted for its forests and waterways, Wabash River, Tippecanoe River, and Wildcat Creek. Until the 1820s, Carroll County was home to a French fur trading post located north of the town of Rockfield. Today, the county’s main industry is agriculture.
Powered by the waters of Wildcat Creek, was built in 1845 by John Adams. The mill is a prime example of post and beam construction common to 19th century agricultural structures in Indiana. No nails were used in the original framework, only wooden pegs. Posts and beams are madeof walnut and the joists are of oak. The mill is a museum of Americana open to the public for tours on weekends and by special arrangement.
Guests can get a glimpse of life in the 1850s canal era and learn about the land, water and wildlife in early Indiana. Take a ride on a canal boat, visit the interpretive museum or walk the trails along a lovely stretch of the historic canal, once part of the largest manmade waterway in the United States.
Vanscoy Towpath Trail
This trail passes by the 1838-39 Irish Canal Construction Camp, and two prosperous paper mills operating in the mid 1800’s. The southern most point of the trail is known as “Sunset Point” where Deer Creek meets the Wabash River.
Visit this site to view Delphi trails, maps, photos and much more.